If you study in Perth as a local or an international student, chances are you’re on a tight budget. Without a full-time income, finding things to do for fun with your friends can be a hard task.
Whilst there are many great courses in Perth to choose from, that’s not all our great city offers. Perth is also full of natural attractions – if you know where to find them.
We’ve put together a list of the top 5 things to do in Perth for international students – and the best part is, they won’t cost you a cent! So, read on and take note for some ideas to keep you entertained all year round.
Visit a local watering hole
1. Summer is here – and that means one thing in Perth: swimming! There’s no better way to cool off in this heat than with a dip in a lake, river or ocean.
Serpentine Falls is one of our favorites. This spot is about 45 minutes from the CBD – but trust us, it’s worth the drive.
This natural waterfall has crisp waters that will refresh you like nothing else. Plus, the area is complete with picnic tables and gas barbecues so you can really make the most of your day out.
Light up your life
2. This is a limited-time only activity – so take advantage while you can! This year, the City of Perth has put together an astounding Christmas Lights display across the CBD. Follow the trail to see some beautiful lights and really get into the spirit of the holiday season.
King of the park
3. It may be an obvious one – but Kings Park is a WA icon for good reason. This stunning bushland features flora and fauna native to Western Australia, as well as glorious views of the city that you just can’t get elsewhere.
Follow one of the famous bush trails for some exercise that won’t feel like exercise – then visit the State War Memorial for a sample of WA history.
4. The Scarborough Sandpit on a Sunday transforms into a hub of Latin music and salsa dancing! Throughout the summertime, WA Zouk and Bailar Productions team up to provide free salsa and bachata classes, followed by social dancing into the evening.
You don’t need a partner to take part and you don’t need any experience, either. Just turn up!
Sea’s the day
5. No Perth list would be complete without a nod to the beach. Our top picks are Cottesloe and Mullaloo (but make sure to visit in the morning to avoid the infamous “Freo Doctor” breeze!)
Grab your bathers, a towel and some sunscreen and you’re set for the day.
So there you have it! Bookmark this list whilst you study in Western Australia and you’ll never be bored again. Got a great idea that we’ve missed? Comment below and let us know – sharing is caring, after all!